Our Purpose and Values
Our Purpose is to improve the quality of life of people experiencing disadvantage and discrimination. We aim to achieve this through making grants to voluntary and other civil society organisations and by adding value including through promoting knowledge and influencing others.
Our Values We:
- believe in the fundamental value of an independent and effective civil society both nationally and internationally. Civil society identifies new needs and ways to meet these. It engages citizens, giving them voice in a unique way, holding the powerful to account;
- use our funds to strengthen voluntary sector organisations, responding flexibly; creatively and pragmatically to their needs and with a determination to achieve value for money;
- help to create enduring change both in the lives of those served by the work we are funding and by building the capacity of organisations to become more sustainable and resilient;
- put a high value on learning from organisations and their beneficiaries. We seek to add value to our grants by encouraging the communication of knowledge through a variety of means, including influencing others;
- build positive, purposeful relationships with grant recipients, as well as with other grant makers;
- treat grant-seekers and recipients with courtesy and respect; being as accessible as possible within clear programme guidelines and maintaining consistently high standards of administrative efficiency.